5 Reasons for women to do a Fertility Assessment
Why should I do a Fertility Assessment? Here are 5 reasons.
Many young women choose to focus on their careers and themselves and wouldn’t think about getting their fertility tested. After all they do not plan to have kids any time soon or may not have found a partner to start a life with yet. However, knowing early on that you are at risk to become infertile could help lead you to a host of important decisions – from freezing your eggs now, to deciding early on to not having biological children.
- Family history: If you are under 30 but your mother went through menopause at 38 or younger; or if you have an autoimmune disease like rheumatoid arthritis, which increases the risk of early ovarian failure, it is advisable to have your fertility assessed.
- Age: With every passing year, as women as the quantity and quality of the eggs decline; and at different rates for different women. Fertility starts to decline more drastically from the age of 35, but it can start much, much earlier than that and usually there are no warning signs.
- Treatment Cost: Couples save for a home, retirement and the education of their children who they hope to have in the future. But no one saves money to get pregnant. And although raising children is expensive most couples hope to get pregnant naturally, for free. For many couples, natural conception is not possible. Knowing your fertility potential today can help you financially prepare for any future fertility treatment.
- Knowing early: For many women testing their fertility health meant having some questions answered – Am I OK? Can I have a baby right now if I wanted to? The fear of not knowing whether you are infertile or not would make it harder on yourself and your future partner, which can be alleviated by testing your fertility early.
- Easy & Quick: Fertility testing is easy to do and is a fairly quick process. In one visit your doctor can assess your ovarian reserve through an ultrasound and do a blood test. With the results being ready on the same day, you can know immediately and can start planning to make important decisions.